A Generation of Robots?


Something that I've been thinking about a lot in the last few days is the idea that this generation seems to have that the solution to their anxieties, their life's problems, is to just stop caring.

I have been pondering this for a few years now as it has always been something that people have told me, advice that I've been given, whenever I'm upset or stressed or struggling. But also, I can see the people around me basing their lives around that concept, that the less you care, the less you'll get hurt.

And hey, I can most definitely see the logic to that. There is an immense amount of logic to that statement. If you don't care about something you've got and then lose it, then it will for sure hurt less. But at what cost?

Our generation seems to be overcome with a lot more mental illness than previous generations. Whether that is actually because it is more prevalent these days or whether it is just brought to our attention more, it is a phenomenon that has gripped us all.

Our reaction to this? Self help books such as 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck' and other media telling us all to just remove ourselves from some of the issues in our lives. To take a step back and protect ourselves first so that we don't get hurt.

That advice is all well and good, but my question is this. If we are turning into a society that care a lot less about relationships, about work, about the issues in our lives, then how ever are we to experience love, joy and success as strongly?

It sounds cliche, but a lot of things that hurt are the risk of something that previously felt amazing.

It scares me honestly, as a person who feels everything incredibly strongly, that I might soon enough be surrounded by friends, partners and human beings that live their lives by this logic. People that purposely try their hardest not to care.

Because at the end of the day, if it wasn't for the night, for the darkness, then we would never see the stars.


Comments

Popular Posts