The Power of Film: My 3 Must See Films


Today I wanted to take a second and talk about something that holds a really large place in my heart! Third only to coffee and literature... and that's film!

I could rattle on about how strong a power that films have on us, especially today with the invention of netflix and stan and all of the other 15 streaming sites that I pay monthly for. At the end of the day, film is one of the best ways not only to entertain, but also to get across important life lessons and expand the minds of those who are watching them.

So I compiled a list of my 5 favourite films so that you guys can have a read and maybe even get inspired to broaden your minds and watch a few, if you haven't already!

1. A Beautiful Mind

I could not recommend this film any more, as I also cannot express just how inspiring, courageous and strong the main character is.

This film is based on the biography of nobel prize winner in mathetmatics, John Nash and his incredible fight and struggle between his paranoid schizophrenia, his family life and his work.
If you can watch this film and not either;
a) be a mess of tears and emotion
b) be inspired to do anything that you set your heart and mind to
OR
c) all of the above

Than you have a heart of stone!


2. Life is Beautiful

This film has only come into my life recently, but since then it has made its huge impact. I have watched this film about 4 times in the last month or two since I discovered it and every time I do, it rips my heart out and serves it on a golden platter.

It is the beautiful story of a young Jewish family in Italy in the midst of WW2. The first half of the film focuses on the love story of Guido and Dora and their love story. Then the second half fast forwards a few years when the two of them, and their child all get captured and taking to concentration camps.

The story then follows the beauty of family love as the father tries desperately to convince his 4 year old that everything is going to be okay, that they are just playing one huge game and if they last all the way to the end, they'll win the big prize.

Needless to say it's one of the most beautiful but also heart-wrenching films you'll ever see.


3. Girl, Interrupted

I feel like this may be a bit more well known than the other two but for very, good reason! Starring Angelina Jolie and Winona Ryder, this is one of the most raw and honest films about mental illness that I have ever seen.

Based in a mental illness impatient centre in the states in the 60s, it tells the true story of Susanna Kaysen, who is diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. The movie goes on to describe her struggles in the hospital, her friendship with Sociopath Lisa (Angelina Jolie) and the way that she overcomes and learns to deal with her mental illness throughout her early 20s.

Easily one of the most emotional and intense films I've ever seen, it is also incredibly inspiring that humans really can learn to live with anything.




Comments

Popular Posts